Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Things I Could Relate To..

Not sure if this is really related to analyzing the book, but these are some things that I noticed that I found amusing..

I had the same exact rules for myself as "Mom's Rules for Life in New York City" when I first started to work in NYC and moved to Hoboken (and now the same can apply for teaching in Newark). I guess those are general rules to live by when you work/live in a city area because I still do those things! (ie. Looking as though you were planning on crossing the street all along when you spot a shady person; never showing money on the street)

Also, I found it funny when Miranda talks about how she & Richard figured out that "the more stuff her mom swipes from the office supply closet, the more she's hating work." I've actually found that when I was unhappy at work in my previous office job (and I've heard/read about this from other people, so I'm not alone) that petty office theft makes things alright, in a weird way. And yes, I'm not proud to admit that I have swiped a pen or a pack of Post-its here n' there, then felt like it was a prize that made up for however I felt wronged that day (haha). I'm coming clean! Feels good...

2 comments:

  1. I have definitely "borrowed" some items from the office. It is like a weird revenge...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That whole part about Miranda's mom made me laugh. My entire childhood I can remember office supplies magically appearing in my home. As I read the story I was picturing my mom instead of Miranda's.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.