Sunday, June 20, 2010
Genre
If you were to present this book to a class, how would you classify it? Drama? Sci-Fi? Magical realism? I love that it's easy to connect to real life, yet there are qualities about it that lift it above what we know as reality. It coyly contradicts my notions of common sense, because now I'm on the verge of believing time travel is possible to accomplish--if I just accept the possibility that it is possible. I'd love to have a conversation with my third graders about what constitutes common sense and reality.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I would classify this book and realistic fantasy. Much like there is realistic fiction, it is a story in which some components can take place but there is an element of the impossible.
ReplyDelete*as realistic fantasy
ReplyDeleteSteven Hawking, anyone?
ReplyDeleteStephen, not Steven
ReplyDeletesorry steve.
I agree with everyone. Trying to classify this novel is a challenge. I like Sam's notion of combining fantasy and realism; in this I get a Wizard of Oz sort of feeling. It also read as a memoir, which I think is important.
ReplyDeleteMike - I'm vaguely familiar with Stephen Hawking, mostly as I've heard his name associated with the parts of science that people find hard to believe. Can you comment on you connection?