Sunday, June 13, 2010

The book in general.

I'll just start with a general statement...

I have to say that I genuinely enjoyed this book. It was amazing to me how I was able to relate to the small details that the author discussed. I knew exactly what she meant by the house feeling safe and like a "warm hug" after something troubling just happening. I can think of so many times my own home has felt like that. This is just one example of so many throughout the entire book. Rebecca Stead did an excellent job of making this book feel personal and relate-able to teens, as well as 26 year old Me.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. I can definitely remember times like Miranda experienced - realizing your house isn't what it should be, your clothes are good enough, your life is small compared to those around you.

    I can also relate to the changing relationship with Sal. I have definitely had times when friendships of mine have changed in the same manner and theirs. I have been Miranda and I have been Sal. It makes me wonder about those I don't speak to anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. There were many times where I could relate to 12-year old Miranda. One part of the book that made me go, "aww" was she saw Julia looking back at her ex-best friend Annemarie with that look of longing and sadness. She knew that look because it's the same one that she gives Sal. This incident motivated her to be "nice" to Alice (the girl who never asked to go to the bathroom). By doing this, she realized how "un-nice" she had been to her in the past: "sometimes you never feel meaner than the moment you stop being mean." I have definitely felt like this in my adolescence and even now.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.