Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Significance of the Chapter Titles

Tiny Spoiler Alert. No important info is given up.

As I approach the midsection of the book, I am finding myself caught up in the chapter titles. The first few chapter titles I more-or-less disregarded as words at the top of a new section, thinking they'd apply on the surface, at best. At some point, though, I decided they were much more significant.

Aside from most of the titles being framed as a category in the $20,000 Pyramid ("Things That..."), I have come to the conclusion that each title carries a double meaning; the first is a literal relationship with the chapter, and the second is a more figurative allusive relationship. For example, the chapter "Things That Sneak Up On You" talks about the first real interaction between Miranda and Marcus that was sparked by Marcus quite literally sneaking up on Miranda. The title quite obviously relates in the physical sneaking up, but I venture to propose that it also alludes to this new, forbidden relationship sneaking up on Miranda with her old friend's assailant.

So here I've come to a "cute" nuance of the story: The chapters engage the reader in their own game of the $20,000 Pyramid. Each chapter begins with a topic, and it is left to the reader to name as many things that related inside of it. It's clever, really. Or maybe I am making this up.

I have a small list of these chapters running in my book. What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. Sean, I'm excited by your interpretation of the titles in the story. Probably because I have never seen the show, I had not thought about the language of the $20,000 Pyramid and its relation to the book. Even when Miranda and her mom practice for the show, it did not occur to me that the words they were using could/should enlighten the reader of a way to read the chapter titles. When I return to the book, I will take your challenge of finding as many things as I can in the chapter that relate to the chapter title. Thanks for giving my reading some added purpose, Sean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark--gift from me to you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyDp18wh0pc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thx for the point Sean. I remember the show but I didn't even notice the titles. I had to read the first half again because I read it a week ago & I wanted it skim it before reading the second half. During the second read (of the first half) something clicked and I think I could guess what is going on.

    I am enjoying the book because I have strong visuals in my head about NYC in the 70's. I used to love shows like Barney Miller and Taxi. I can just picture the characters in this story with lots of denim and hair.

    I connected with the description of Miranda's mom bringing her into the apartment as a baby. When we first moved into our house they had just yanked the carpet but the floors were a mess. My daughter had just learned to crawl but I had to gate her onto the porch where she couldn't get hurt on old carpet staples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - good call Sean! I have to admit I did not pick up on this the first time I read it. I think that the cover is also a "cute nuance" - when I first looked at it I thought it was bland and strange. Why are there so many singular objects positioned around the streets? After I finished reading it I went back to the cover and took note of all of the items that are pictured. Very cool. In thinking about teaching this book, I might have students analyze the cover before reading it to make predictions about the implications of the design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy you brought this up, Sean.

    I noticed the $20,000 Pyramid chapter theme fairly early on in this book. As a fellow latchkey child, I used to go home and watch recycled TV shows and watch reruns of the Pyramid on the Game Show Network as a middle school student. Anyway, it wasn't until the fifth or sixth chapter that I become on the lookout for the correlation and meaning between the chapter titles and the content of following chapter. I agree with you that not only does the chapter title give you some literal meaning of what the chapter will be about, but there is some higher meaning that ties the book together as well as Miranda life. Not all chapters convey a higher, deeper sort of theme, but some that I think to have that higher meaning are "Things That Burn", "Things That Go Missing", "Things You Push Away" to name a few.

    As I was reading, I found myself really looking forward to what the next chapter would be titled. Not only did this simple and original nuance give me a hint of what the chapter would entail, but it kept me engaged and wanting more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you think that Stead chose that television show for a personal reason or so she could entwine all these different stories and themes together? I for one think it was on purpose.

    The entire book could be a $20,000 pyramid for "Things that Change." The mother's career, the girl's relationship with her "best" friend, the ending, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I noticed the "Pyramid" titles too - very clever! It was a good segway into the chapter and gave me an idea of what it could be about. Definitely kept me engaged!

    I did the same thing with the cover of the book.. I thought it was a little odd when I first looked at it (probably because I had no idea what the objects related to) but I looked at it again as I was reading and it all made sense!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.