Welcome! Here's where the NTRP Lits can muse about children's literature, literacies, and other such things...
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Someone Please Explain...
the broccoli time continuum scenario discussed in the book! If they left, but were arriving 5 minutes earlier, they would be there in time to see them leave? Wouldn't they be there in time to see them arrive I thought. Anyone?Anyone?
So say you're going to do something, for the sake of the argument, let's say you're going to get a pizza. On the way to the pizza place, you pass a broccoli patch at 6:00pm, before arriving at the pizza place at 6:10pm. Little did you know, requesting mushrooms at 6:12pm was going to cause a rift in the time-space continuum, sending you into an awkward spiral in another dimension. Well, let's just say you could have written a novel about your experiences, but at some point, you figure out the secret to time travel and warp yourself back, as close to the time you left as you could. Since time travel is an imperfect experience, you accidentally land yourself in that darn broccoli patch you passed on the way to the pizza place at 5:55pm of that same day. Now you know you've already made it to the pizza place to order those darn mushrooms that started this whole thing. If you hang out in the broccoli patch for 5 minutes, theoretically, you will engage in what will be the most awkward encounter of your life; you will meet yourself.
Did that help? I can understand if it didn't. I hope it was at least entertaining!
SPOILERS I have questions. Why does Marcus steal Richard's specialized shoes? Is it just bc he has access to Miranda's apartment. During the collision scene I thought that the laughing buy might BE the older Richard and that's why he had to steal his own customized shoes. Couldn't the older Marcus steal a regular pair of shoes from someone. Whose clothes is he wearing?
Another question, at what point does laughing man, older Marcus, steal the bills from Jimmy? I missed that. Or, does young Marcus steal the bills to give to old Marcus. At the point Belle mentions the 2 dollar bills I thought we might find out that laughing man was an older Colin.
I kept expecting a time traveler to give Miranda answers to the pyramid show. I just thought that would be tied into the plot in some way.
Ya know what, this broccoli scene confused me too but when Julia & Marcus explain it later on, it made more sense to me (what Sean just explained).
Dr. Spencer- it's page 100, when they see Julia & she starts explaining it. It's page 49 the first conversation they had about it.
Looking back at the notes I made while reading, I actually did think it was Marcus who took their apt. key, yet it was his "present-time" self. I had no clue it was going to be him from the future!
Also, I have another question: how come in the beginning of their book whenever Marcus walked by, he never noticed Miranda? He always walked right by her without even looking at her.. is that of any significance or not?
I'm guessing he stole Richard's shoes because he needed clothes and that was his way of specializing & telling her his next clues?
I think Marcus didn't notice Miranda because he was something of a social invert... On page 177 he says "I just didn't see myself as...part of what was happening. Sometimes I'm thinking about stuff and I walk past my own building." Marcus didn't notice Miranda because he didn't notice much of anyone. Like Mr. Gant said--the geniuses are socially inept, lol.
I think you're right about (old) Marcus stealing the shoes. I mean, he could have stolen anyone's, but I think he takes Richard's because he already had a way into the apartment and he needs them... and the bonus is that it gives Miranda another clue.
SPOLIER!! Another question - what is the impact of the laughing man dying? How can Marcus continue to live on? Will he die in the same way later on when he is old? I'm very confused between the old laughing man and the young Marcus, and how they can both exist at the same time (ie: when the laughing man walks up to Marcus on the street and then runs back away)
So say you're going to do something, for the sake of the argument, let's say you're going to get a pizza. On the way to the pizza place, you pass a broccoli patch at 6:00pm, before arriving at the pizza place at 6:10pm. Little did you know, requesting mushrooms at 6:12pm was going to cause a rift in the time-space continuum, sending you into an awkward spiral in another dimension. Well, let's just say you could have written a novel about your experiences, but at some point, you figure out the secret to time travel and warp yourself back, as close to the time you left as you could. Since time travel is an imperfect experience, you accidentally land yourself in that darn broccoli patch you passed on the way to the pizza place at 5:55pm of that same day. Now you know you've already made it to the pizza place to order those darn mushrooms that started this whole thing. If you hang out in the broccoli patch for 5 minutes, theoretically, you will engage in what will be the most awkward encounter of your life; you will meet yourself.
ReplyDeleteDid that help? I can understand if it didn't. I hope it was at least entertaining!
Sam--what's the page reference on that one, again?
ReplyDeleteSPOILERS I have questions. Why does Marcus steal Richard's specialized shoes? Is it just bc he has access to Miranda's apartment. During the collision scene I thought that the laughing buy might BE the older Richard and that's why he had to steal his own customized shoes. Couldn't the older Marcus steal a regular pair of shoes from someone. Whose clothes is he wearing?
ReplyDeleteAnother question, at what point does laughing man, older Marcus, steal the bills from Jimmy? I missed that. Or, does young Marcus steal the bills to give to old Marcus. At the point Belle mentions the 2 dollar bills I thought we might find out that laughing man was an older Colin.
I kept expecting a time traveler to give Miranda answers to the pyramid show. I just thought that would be tied into the plot in some way.
*SPOILER*
ReplyDeleteYa know what, this broccoli scene confused me too but when Julia & Marcus explain it later on, it made more sense to me (what Sean just explained).
Dr. Spencer- it's page 100, when they see Julia & she starts explaining it. It's page 49 the first conversation they had about it.
Looking back at the notes I made while reading, I actually did think it was Marcus who took their apt. key, yet it was his "present-time" self. I had no clue it was going to be him from the future!
Also, I have another question: how come in the beginning of their book whenever Marcus walked by, he never noticed Miranda? He always walked right by her without even looking at her.. is that of any significance or not?
I'm guessing he stole Richard's shoes because he needed clothes and that was his way of specializing & telling her his next clues?
I think Marcus didn't notice Miranda because he was something of a social invert... On page 177 he says "I just didn't see myself as...part of what was happening. Sometimes I'm thinking about stuff and I walk past my own building." Marcus didn't notice Miranda because he didn't notice much of anyone. Like Mr. Gant said--the geniuses are socially inept, lol.
ReplyDeleteI think you're right about (old) Marcus stealing the shoes. I mean, he could have stolen anyone's, but I think he takes Richard's because he already had a way into the apartment and he needs them... and the bonus is that it gives Miranda another clue.
SPOLIER!! Another question - what is the impact of the laughing man dying? How can Marcus continue to live on? Will he die in the same way later on when he is old? I'm very confused between the old laughing man and the young Marcus, and how they can both exist at the same time (ie: when the laughing man walks up to Marcus on the street and then runs back away)
ReplyDelete